What is Educational Therapy?
Educational therapy is an individualized intervention programme which aims to improve the academics of children with learning difficulties. Alternative teaching methods (e.g. manipulatives, games and other activities) will be used to teach academic concepts. The objective of the programme is to narrow the gap between a child’s learning and the mainstream syllabus.
Who is it for?
Our service is catered to children and adolescents, between 4 to 17 years, studying in mainstream (MOE-Based and International Schools) and special schools with difficulties in learning due to conditions such as:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Other Learning Difficulties
- Cognitive Weakness (such as challenges with verbal and nonverbal reasoning, sequencing, working memory and processing speed).
- Specific Language Impairments
- Auditory and Visual Processing Disorders
Specialist tutoring is targeted to assist children and adolescents in learning, such as literacy, numeracy and study skills. An in-house academic assessment maybe conducted to evaluate the child’s academic skills upon enrollment to the program. This can be provide the parents with their child’s actual academic ability in the respective subject and evaluate if the child requires the intervention. There will also be biannual assessments conducted to assess if the child is making progress due to the intervention.
Multisensory teaching techniques are used to stimulate the children’s learning. This technique encourages children to use their strength to improve their learning. It also helps the children to learn, understand and retain concepts.
Some of the multisensory techniques used in the session are:
- Visual teaching techniques
- Text, pictures, flash cards, computer/tablet
- Colors for highlighting and to organize information
- Auditory technique
- Videos with accompanying audio
- Verbal instructions
- Tactile teaching methods
- Using manipulatives and teaching resources to teach concepts
- Kinesthetic movements
- Games and other movement activities which involve concepts
Based on the child’s academic assessment score, he/she will be enrolled in either one of the following programmes:
|Group Specialist Teaching*||Individual Specialist Teaching|
|Class size||Maximum 3 students||1 student|
|Class frequency||Once a week||Twice a week|
|Class duration||1.5 hours||1 hour|
* Please speak to our reception staff to gain more information into new programs developed at our centre.